Things I Love

Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving 2009

This holiday was probably the first in which I only had to visit 2 different houses!! LOL. Every since I could remember, Elaine and I would spend the majority of our holidays riding and then driving in the car, going from here and there to all the families’ houses- mom, dad, grandparents, aunts/uncles, step familiy… I think the record for us was six different places all in one day. Needless to say, not terribly fun!

We first started our day today by meeting up with my sister, then we all drove out to Antioch to spend the afternoon with my dad and his family. It was nice to sit and relax for a couple hours and visit with them. Then, Elaine and I parted ways and headed for our prospective in-law’s houses for the evening. Eric and I went to Patrick and Lucha’s house in Danville, which we always enjoy. Patrick is one of five boys, so when everyone gets together, it’s one big party! Plus, Patrick’s family is so relaxed and accepting- technically, Eric and I aren’t even family, but it sure doesn’t feel that way. It’s a nice change from step-family who obviously made me feel very different from the rest of the clan…

Anyway, it was potluck style this year, so everyone brought one or two dishes to share. There was soooo much food, it was amazing!! There was a little bit of everything- homemade creamed corn, mashed potatoes, veggie dishes galore, homemade challah sweet bread, and a huge turkey of course. Everything was delicious!

I think all too often, we as individuals (myself included) get so wrapped up in life that we forget what’s important- family and one another. So today, that’s what I celebrated- being a member of a huge extended family and forgeting about how I was related to this person or that person. But tonight, all I knew was that I was surrounded by great company, living in a beautiful and safe place, and fortunate enough to enjoy many of life’s luxuries, and for these things, I was thankful.

No comments: