
Everyone who knows me knows that I just love Househunters- a television program on HGTV. The show follows a family or an individual as they hunt for the right house to buy. The program is typically divided into three segments, which showcase three separate homes, leaving the viewer guessing until the last few minutes of the show as to which of the three houses was chosen. I’m not quite sure what the attraction of this show is- perhaps my passion for design or my past aspiration to become an architect- but I enjoy every minute of it, taking note of what features I like and trying to guess which house they choose as their favorite in the end. I was so excited when we began our official househunt!
But unfortunately, life is not like Househunters at all. Not even close. I’ve learned, over this past month or so of searching (and 7 rejected offers so far…), that looking for a house to buy is emotionally exhausting and far more stressful than I could have ever imagined. Nearly every weekend, we’re carted around by our realtors as we tour what little is on the market at the moment. We’re trying to be open minded and evaluate the houses upon more than their immediate appeal, which I think we’re doing quite well- we’re not opposed at all to putting some work into a house and making it our own. And when we see one that we like, we submit an offer right away (usually the very next day and always over asking price) and then wait for the disheartening news that we’ve been outbid or that a wealthy investor gobbled up the property for cash! It’s so frustrating! It’s really challenging to tour a home that we both like and could picture ourselves living in and then be harshly informed that it’s just not going to happen. And then it happens again. And again…
So I need Househunters to come to me and present three great, affordable options to us and then we could choose which one we wanted!!! That would make this process so much easier.
No comments:
Post a Comment