Things I Love

Saturday, January 10, 2009

A Tribute and An Introduction

In an effort to diagnose the existing problem with my Probe, we traveled to a few auto part stores one evening to price a new oil pump and oil pressure switch. Not to our surprise, the parts we needed were not available. We’ve run into this problem quite frequently with this car. Then followed the typical speech from the sales clerk: "Probes have been off the market since ’97… we can special order a generic part for a ridiculous amount of money... or you can try to track down another Probe or a similar Ford/Mazda at a junkyard somewhere and hope that they have the piece you need…" After an unsuccessful search on ebay for the parts, I started to worry. I knew that a trip to Pick ‘n Pull may not prove beneficial- if I were lucky enough to even find a car like mine, the probability of them having the specific parts I needed (in working order) would be slim to none.

So, after our exhausting trip to the museum last week, I convinced Eric to travel a few more miles down to Burlingame, where there was a fabulous car for sale that I had found online. We chatted as we walked onto the lot, quickly rehearsing our plans that we were in no rush to purchase a new car right away. I quickly found the advertised car parked right in the front lot. It was beautiful- a royal blue metallic coupe with black leather interior and a 6-speed manual. I test drove the car around the block. Wow. That car had some horsepower! And the clutch was smooth- the gears shifted like butter. Eric then drove the car around for a few minutes as I marveled over all of the exciting features, buttons, and compartments.

After a brief talk with the pushy salespeople and Eric’s quick response that we simply couldn’t afford it at the price they offered, we headed back home. I wasn’t disappointed really. After all, if we were to purchase a new car, we would definitely need to think about it and avoid acting on sheer impulse.

That night at dinner, we asked our family members their thoughts. After all, both Eric and myself are not terribly familiar with the car buying process- we both have only bought one car. After some encouraging feedback, we decided to sleep on it and decide the next step in the morning. Morning came and my opinion hadn’t changed- I loved the car. So did Eric, apparently, because we were soon traveling back to Burlingame for some more negotiations and a second test drive (we wanted to test all those awesome gears on the highway). I figured, if the car was still there, then perhaps it was meant to be.

The head salesman allowed us to take the car out on our own and we quickly decided that this could be the car for us. As we brought the car back to the dealership, we prepared for a debate. We wanted a few minor details repaired, like a cracked side mirror, and we wanted a warranty to assure that anything else we were unaware of would be repaired without question, since the Carfax report showed an incident (just a minor fender-bender). We decided upon a number and headed into the office. After a heated debate and second and third trips to the dealership to argue over their "miscalculations" (I’ll omit this portion of the tale- don’t ever shop at Mike Harvey Acura in Burlingame) the salesmen agreed to our terms. We got the car for the price we wanted with the extended warranty. In the end, despite the shady dealership that we had to deal with and the headache that ensued for over a week, we can finally say that we did get a great deal on an awesome car. But before I introduce the new car, I must pay homage to the beloved Probe that has served me well for almost 7 years now. I’m sure many know that I easily grow attached to things, despite their inanimate nature. And I tend to be fairly sentimental, especially over things like this…

My Probe was Truly Loved

We met in July of 2002 when I was seventeen. One Saturday afternoon, I convinced my dad to take my sister and I down to E. 14th where there was an array of used car dealerships. I had been working for over a year at that point and I decided that I needed to find a car soon, since I was to begin college in just one month. Elaine and I browsed at a few dealerships and found a couple Ford Escort models, a car that I could definitely afford. But the styling was so boring and most had far too many miles for me to even consider. Then, we stumbled upon a very small dealership with what appeared to be a 1993 silver Ford Probe parked right in the front row. In no less than a minute or two, I briefly made a round looking at the car and decided it was the one. It only had 52K miles and was in pristine condition, except for the small ding in the rear bumper. My dad, who was hesitant to simply select a car based on its appearance, decided to test drive the car first (I did not yet have my license at this point). He mentioned that the muffler needed repair and that the tires were worn, but I decided to buy it anyway and wrote a check for 3.5K. My dad drove the car home and my family had an impromptu celebration dinner.


That began our long relationship. After I officially had my license, the Probe took me everywhere I needed to go. It made sure that I didn’t have to walk home from work any longer. My friend Ashley and I carpooled in the Probe to Las Positas for two years. Then came Berkeley, winding though Tunnel Road and constantly circling campus in search of a parking space. A brief year hiatus from school, and the Probe moved all of my belongings into our new apartment after Eric and I were married. It was truly amazing the number of crazy things I could fit in that car- a quick fold of the rear seats and the ample space from the hatch allowed for an entertainment center, a reclining leather chair, and even a 46" flat screen television (still in the box!). Another move to the condo and the Probe was packed to the brim for a few trips to and from the old apartment. I soon started graduate school in the city, and the Prove was more than willing to make the long trip to and from campus. Lastly, there was the daily commute to my new job at Children's Hospital Oakland that it performed without hesitation.

All in all, it has been broken into twice and vandalized once. The first break in for nothing else than a cheap stereo deck resulted in a mad search for a new triangular side window- luckily Pick ‘n Pull had just the piece I needed. Same for the second incident, but luckily there was no harm to the windows. The time the car was vandalized, some idiot made off with my muffler and catalytic converter.


Looking at the car now, with its deteriorating paint, worn seats, and a few more dings than I remember making, I am thankful for the time I had with the Probe. The sight of it retired to the back parking lot of our condo complex brings me to tears, but I have to remember that the Probe has served me very well. It was not only a great starter car and a smart move for a kid that was putting herself through college, but it served as a driving force (literally) for my will to succeed in school, in work, and in life generally. It enabled me to get this far. I will be gravely disappointed yet grateful when I have to either hand over the keys to a mechanically inclined buyer or watch the car drive away on a tow truck to a deserving charity foundation… I am still undecided.

Thank you Probe =’(

Introducing the Acura CL type-S

Our new addition to the family is a 2003 Acura that sits happily in our covered parking space. It’s a royal blue coupe that delivers 260 horsepower from a 3.2 liter V6. I’m still learning how to use all of the imaginable options- I’ve used the heated seats nearly every time I’ve driven it and it’s quite nice to have a CD changer instead of swapping out CDs all the time. It has a sunroof, which we will soon enjoy once the spring and summer months arrive. And four cup holders! Most of all, the leather seats translate to less cat fur that we have to worry about! I really hate it when I leave for the day in nice black pants and arrive at school and work with lumps of cat fur all over me (the joys of our beloved, furry children- I really don’t know how so much cat fur ends up in our cars. Quite strange). I think Eric enjoys driving it as much as I do. Even though it’s a coupe, the backseat room is more than adequate- much what one would expect from a compact sedan. And the trunk space is enormous- never again will we have to worry about buying too much at Costco. All I have to do is press a button on my fancy remote and the trunk pops right open! The only details that we have left to take care of are the cracked mirror that the dealer agreed to repair, new headlamp and interior clock bulbs, and a speaker that is out of commission. Overall, we’re very happy with the new car and we think that it will suit us nicely for some time.

No comments: