Things I Love

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Back to the Lab again

My spring semester officially begins tomorrow and I don’t think that I’ve prepared myself near enough for the return to madness. This should be my last semester- providing that I stay on track and complete my thesis on time! That means that I have to start collecting data as soon as possible, since I’m hoping for at least 500 participants. Luckily Racheal, my classmate, and I are collecting data together since our thesis topics are closely related. We’re posting our survey online and recruiting participants through college undergraduate classrooms within the Bay Area. Once data is collected, then it’s on to data analysis. That will most likely translate to hours and hours in the lab, crunching numbers and trying to make sense of it all. Then I can write up my results and discussion for the official manuscript. I just have to keep reminding myself to take this one step at a time. Otherwise, I’m just going to delay my progress by completely overwhelming myself.

On top of the whole thesis situation, I’m also teaching this semester- two sections of statistics. I’m looking forward to it, but I’m also a little anxious. I co-taught the class during the summer, but this time I’ll be on my own. Plus, one of the sections is at 8am, which is going to kill me every week! Factor in the hour-long Bart ride into the city and the 20-minute or more wait for the bus and it looks like I’ll need to leave my house no later than 6:30am. On the bright side, I was able to coordinate my classes and all of my meetings into just two days each week, Tuesdays and Thursdays, which leaves the rest of the week open for my work at the hospital.

It looks like this is going to be another crazy semester! Wish me luck…

No comments: