Things I Love

Monday, March 9, 2009

SOLD!

Over two months after buying our new car, the time finally came for me to let go of my Probe. Initially, I was hesitant to sell the car at all since it had so much sentimental value- my first thought was to donate the car to charity. However, given the fact that we could use the extra money and that the car still ran well, I decided to list the car for sale on craigslist.com to see where it went. I listed the car for one week and ended up with about 6 interested people, which turned into 2 or 3 showings. After so much time and effort to keep the car clean and presentable, those 2 or 3 showing resulted in ridiculous lowball offers that I outright refused. Discouraged after one week, I decided that I would list the car once again for another week. If that didn’t result in a sale that I was happy with, I would look into other options for the car, such as donation, since I quickly learned that selling a car is quite a hassle. Plus, it was hard to see the poor Probe sitting idle in our parking lot every day.

After a few failed attempts to set up more showings with interested buyers, I received an email from a young lady named Adrienne a day or two before the ad was to expire. She was in graduate school- pursuing psychology- and was in desperate need of a car to take her to and from Oakland and Lafayette where she worked. Ironically, I also learned that she owned a Probe previously. Considering our similar interests, we exchanged a few more emails before eventually setting up a meeting with her on Saturday to show the car.

I was anxious about our meeting, yet I had a good feeling about it. On Saturday morning, I made sure that the inside of the car was dusted and that the windows that were covered in a fresh coating of pollen were clean and shiny. Eric followed as I chatted with the car on the way to our meeting place.

I was greeted by Adrienne, who test drove the car, asked a few additional questions, decided it was a good deal, and we quickly signed over all of the necessary paperwork to finalize the sale and transfer. The whole process was easier than I had envisioned and I walked away with my full asking price for the car. I left that day with a good feeling that my Probe was going to some one who would truly take care of the car just as I had done.

Bon Voyage Probe. You will be missed.

No comments: