Things I Love

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Goodbye 12 inches (again)!


As per my biannual tradition, I recently cut off my hair to donate to Locks of Love. When I was a child, I absolutely despised my red hair- I vividly remember bursting into tears when I was about 5 years old after some stupid guy remarked that my head was on fire. But as I’ve gotten older, I’ve learned to appreciate it more. For one, it’s a unique color. And for two, it’s thick and grows like a weed. I’ve heard that the average hair growth for healthy women is about 4 to 6 inches per year. Well, my rate of growth must far surpass that because I can easily chop off over a foot in less than 2 years. So, for the past few years, I’ve decided to donate my hair to Locks of Love- a nonprofit organization that creates hairpieces for children with chronic illnesses that result in hair loss, such as cancer.

This marked the third time that I’ve made a donation. The first of my donations was in 2005. I was nervous to cut off so much of my security blanket and embrace a short hairstyle, but it grew on me. The second time around, just about 2 years ago, my sister cut off my ponytail and gave me a simple cut with the long bangs that I wanted (a pleasant change, but not the best look for me and too much work to keep up). This time, my sister made an appointment for us at her hairdresser to get new ‘dos together. Since I knew this was coming sooner or later, I had been scouring some hairstyle magazines to find what I wanted- a tad longer than shoulder length cut that would tame my thick hair and look different than what I always get (a straight cut). And I finally found it. I just wasn’t sure how well it would turn out, since the cut you get never really looks like the picture that you bring in…

So here’s my debut- short layers and definitely different! Everyone I walk by stops me and asks what happened to all my hair. And as far as my personal opinion, I’m not terribly fond of the short hairstyle. But it will grow back before I know it!

No comments: