Things I Love

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Eric’s Birthday

For Eric’s 29th birthday this year, I planned a simple party with his parents and a few good friends since we just got back from our trip to Texas a few days beforehand and I didn’t have much time to plan! Eric wanted to go do something fun, so I reserved some lanes at the bowling alley in Danville. We had about 12 people come out for a few games, which was fun. I am a horrible bowler with absolutely no form, but I enjoyed watching everyone else. We were all ecstatic when Britty bowled one point over Aunt Kit (who has played in a bowling league!) to steal the game in her extra turn on the tenth frame.

Afterwards, we had everyone over to our place for a BBQ. I had contemplated making reservations at a nearby restaurant, but since that would have been a little pricey for everyone on top of bowling, I opted to make dinner at home instead. Eric’s only request was that someone other than him does the actual bbq’ing so he could be free to mingle with guests. So I signed up for the job. I made hamburger patties and marinated some chicken breasts for the grill and luckily Patrick and Stephen volunteered to supervise my work! I also put together a pasta salad, made some fruit kabobs, and steamed some corn on the cob for everyone. In the end, everything turned out delicious!

Then Eric opened his gifts. He received a few gift cards, a movie, and a video game that he had wanted. He saved my gift for last, which required some planning on my part. His gift came in two parts. First, he has wanted a good set of golf clubs for quite some time, so I figured that I would do some research and invest in a decent set for him. I eventually found a set online and ordered it, picked it up one day after work, and stashed it at home where he (hopefully) would not stumble upon it. When I wrapped his gift, I made sure to prepare a separate gift bag to set out as the “display” gift (it was a box of Cheez-its). So, when he opened the bag to find the box of Cheez-its, he was quite confused… but then I fetched the huge box for him to open and he was quite surprised! Now on to the second part of his gift: I wrote a silly poem for Eric, informing him of my decision to officially change my last name. I tucked the poem into his card and his mom opted to read it aloud to everyone at the party! I was a little embarrassed, but everyone seemed to appreciate the gesture, especially Eric. He asked quite a few times if I was serious!



So, since many have already heard it anyway, here’s the dorky poem that I wrote to Eric (and for the record, I am no longer a feminist… haha):

I’m Giving In

Hello my dear honeypoop,
Just wanted to say happy twenty-nine!
Only one more year until the big 3-0,
Won’t that be divine? (haha)

Anyway, remember almost three years ago-
When we walked down the aisle and said “I do?”
We didn’t even have to think about it,
I guess we both just knew.

I worked really hard to make sure everything was perfect,
From the invitations, to the flowers, to the cake and knife.
But there was one thing that wasn’t exactly right-
When we were pronounced husband and wife.

Honoring tradition isn’t really my thing,
But I’ve decided to make an exception for you.
This should have happened a long time ago-
I know it’s a long time overdue!

Honestly, I’m really not a feminist,
Even though you might think so.
I’ve come to realize that Adams is just a name-
And it’s pretty boring as far as names go.

So, I’m finally giving in-
Because one day it may not be just you and me.
I love our little family that we have together,
Whatever God’s plan for the Stessel family may be!

Love your wife,
Hollie Jean Stessel

(and no, this doesn’t count as your gift)

No comments: